Rules & Procedures
Application for Pro Hac Vice
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PRO HAC VICE ADMISSION (U.S. Bankruptcy Court)
As provided in B.L.R. 1001-2(a)(29) and Civil L.R. 11-3, an attorney who is not a member of the Bar of the Northern District
of California, but who is an active member in good standing of the bar of another United States court or of the highest court of
another state or the District of Columbia, may appear in an action in this district after he or she has been admitted to practice
pro hac vice. Attorneys wishing to appear pursuant to these local rules are requested to comply with the following procedures.
For your convenience, the following attachments are posted below as .pdf files: Application for Admission Pro Hac Vice and
Proposed Order Granting Application for Admission of Attorney Pro Hac Vice. The application forms may be completed and
printed directly from the site.
1. Complete the Application for Admission of Attorney Pro Hac Vice in its entirety. Please note that your signature will be
considered an application on oath that you have complied with each of the admission requirements delineated on the form and
that you will abide by the conditions of admission described in Civil L.R. 11-3.
2. Complete all portions of the Proposed Order Granting Application for Admission of Attorney Pro Hac Vice. Below the
signature line, type in the name of the Judge assigned to the case. Do not include the date.
3. Mail or deliver to the Office of the Clerk of the District Court an original and two copies of each form, along with a stamped,
self-addressed return envelope AND a second envelope addressed to the Office of the Clerk of the Bankruptcy Court in which
the case is pending.
4. Upon application, provide a filing fee in the amount of $305.00. Checks should be made payable to "Clerk, U.S. District
5. After receiving your check, the District Court Clerk will forward your papers and a receipt of payment to the Bankruptcy
Court Clerk, who will transmit the documents for the consideration of the Bankruptcy Judge.
6. If approved, a conformed copy of the signed order and your receipt will be mailed to you. You are responsible for serving a
copy of the order upon all other parties to the action.
7. If your application is rejected, you will be notified by the Bankruptcy Clerk. Your admission fee will be refunded upon
written request to the Clerk of the District Court.
8. Following admission, all papers submitted for filing shall indicate appearance pro hac vice, immediately following the
identifying information required by Civil L.R. 3-4 and B.L.R. 1001-2(a)(13).
9. Counsel are advised to obtain a copy of the Bankruptcy Local Rules and Civil Local Rules of the Northern District of
California, available without charge from the Clerk's Office or from each Court's Internet site.