What should we do when an attorney leaves the firm?


When an attorney leaves a law firm the firm is required to notify the Court of the name and contact information for the attorney(s) taking over the departing attorney’s active bankruptcy cases and adversary proceedings that are pending with the Court. This is done by filing a Notice of Substitution of Attorney in each active case and adversary proceeding, using the CM/ECF event Substitution of Attorney located under the Miscellaneous category in the Bankruptcy and Adversary menus.

When an attorney leaving a firm changes his or her address and intends to continue practicing before the Court, the departing attorney must comply with Bankruptcy Local Rule 2002-2.

Additional information on changing an attorney address and how to obtain a list of cases and proceedings in which an attorney appears is available at this link: Change Attorney Address in CM/ECF.

FAQ Category: