Who do I notify about possible fraudulent activity in a bankruptcy case?


Complaints of criminal violations in the bankruptcy system are submitted to the United States Trustee.  Upon review, if the information furnished establishes a reasonable belief that a criminal violation has occurred the United States Trustee may refer the matter to the United States Attorney for possible investigation and prosecution.  When submitting a complaint to the United States Trustee a clearly written statement along with copies of any available documentation will expedite this process.

The following information should be submitted with your complaint:

1. Name and address of the person or business you are reporting.

2. The name of the bankruptcy case, case number, and the location of where the case was filed.

3. Any identifying information you may have regarding the individual or the business.

4. A brief description of the alleged fraud, including how you became aware of the fraud and when the fraud took place. Please include all supporting documentation.

5. Identify the type of asset that was concealed and its estimated dollar value, or the amount of any unreported income, undervalued asset, or other omitted asset or claim.

6. Your name, address, telephone number, and email address. You are not required to identify yourself, though it is often helpful to do so if questions arise.

Submit a complaint by e-mail to USTP.Bankruptcy.Fraud@usdoj.gov, or to one of the following addresses:


Office of the United States Trustee
450 Golden Gate Avenue, 5th Floor #05-0153
San Francisco, CA 94102
Tel: (415) 705-3333
Fax: (415) 705-3379


Office of the United States Trustee
1301 Clay Street, Room 690N
Oakland, CA 94612
Tel: (510) 637-3200
Fax: (510) 637-3220

Office of the United States Trustee
280 S. First Street, Room 268
San Jose, CA 95113
Tel: (408) 535-5525
Fax: (408) 535-5532

Executive Office for United States Trustees
Office of Criminal Enforcement
441 G Street, NW
Suite 6150
Washington, DC 20530

For more information regarding reporting suspected bankruptcy fraud, please see the United States Trustee website.

FAQ Category: 
General Bankruptcy